Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Welcome -- Maggie Mae McMullen

We were heading out for our normal family grocery shopping trip to Wal-Mart on Sunday late afternoon. As I was driving down Cactus I saw a dog on the south side of the road which appeared to be a puppy. I commented to Ryan....Ahhh, there is a puppy over there. We kept driving and did our grocery shopping which takes about an hour since for some crazy reason we all go together (this is definitely Ryans idea not mine). Anyways I thought to myself that if I see that dog on the way home I might stop and try to help it.

As we left Wal-Mart and headed home....the dog was still in the same spot. I of course felt obligated at this point to stop. Dogs dont usually stay in one spot and not for an hour anyways. My wonderful Ryan jumped out of the car to go over and see the dog. She was very dirty and totally scared. I told Ryan we needed to help her. I got a bottle of water from the car and started pouring it in front of her so she could have a drink. A very thirsty little gal started drinking the water. Ryan at the time was probably hoping that we would drive away -- never know what you are going to have to invest in a stray dog just to help it find its home again. I left Ryan on the side of the road with the dog and went to Jill's to grab a leash. I didn't want us to pick her up with how dirty she was and not knowing if she was going to bite us. We borrowed some dog food from Jill and headed home where we placed her in the back yard. This dog would not eat and just laid around. I went outside often to pet her and talk to her letting her know I am going to help her and find her home. She would get up and walk away from me every time I came outside.
I knew she was an older dog due to her gray hair around the mouth....so, I thought she possibly was dying or was depressed from loosing her owner.
After 2 days of no eating and no movement - I finally got her to lap up some chicken broth which brought a smile to my face.

I called Dales pet grooming to see if I could bring her in and get her a bath so she could come in the house and be more comfortable. I explained the situation to them and they said they would bath her. They looked her over and found a spot on her neck that was bloody. Well turns out that spot was a hole the size of the end of my pinky -- and I have big hands. She had been bit by something and her neck was so swollen and bruised that they said that they cant bath her right now till she is seen by a vet. Wonderful Jillian came over and helped me out the following day so I could take her to the mobile vet. They think maybe a coyote got her and she was lucky to get away. Put her on some medicine for the infection and pain pills.
For some reason after I got home she was excited to get in the back yard and ate a little more broth. I started her meds right away in hopes that she would feel a little better.

The dog started eating more so, I offered some dog food that I had softened with hot water and a little wet dog food. As the week went on so did her progress. I had made an appointment with Jill's vet to follow up and possibly see if there was anything else she needed since the first visit is free. They shaved her neck where she was bit and the bruising was continuing to go away as well as the swelling. I asked him if she could have a bath and he gave me the thumbs up. Sooooo....I called Dales and made an appointment that day. When I went to go pick her up she was a new dog. It was just like she had a day at the spa and was a new women. Leaping around....her hair was so soft and you could tell that she was feeling soooo much better.

She got to stay inside now and was so excited to be with us. I put her on 3 different web sites in hopes to find her owner. I checked her for a chip - she had no collar to begin with and I drove around the area I found her multiple times looking for a lost dog sign.
Well.....we now have a new member to our family. She has miles on her for sure but, she is such an amazing dog. Ryan and I had talked about getting a puppy in the next year which is pretty crazy being that my plate is beyond full. She does not shed, she does not bark - unless you ring the door bell, she is good with the boys and I just love her. We decided to name her Maggie Mae McMullen. She obviously is very grateful for us saving her -- she follows me all around the house and lays in the laundry room when I leave waiting for me to come back through the door. She listens very good and is house broken.

I feel like she is a little blessing and was put there for me/us to find. She is great for our family. Like most kids -- Brady has a hard time staying in his bed before he falls asleep -- coming out for multiple reasons. Last night I had Maggie jump up on the end of his bed and told her to stay till he went to sleep. Brady never came out of his room and she stayed there until I came and got her. What a sweet little angel we have been blessed with to join our family. I cant tell you enough how good it feels to know that we saved this little girl and how much extra joy she brings into our lives. I hope we get to enjoy her for years. Hard to say how old she is but, we will love her as long as she has.

Many Thanks to my husband for just going with the flow and letting her be a part of our family. I appreciate him helping me get her home and being so supportive. I also could not have helped her out as much if Mom and Jill didn't help. Mom picked her up a bed from Costco along with a pooper scooper and dog bones from Pet Smart. Jillian of course helped me out by coming over to the house so I could run around town multiple days trying to fix our girl. Its so great to have so many amazing people in my life so willing to help me with anything. Maggie is very thankful for you guys as well as I am.



This is what she looked like before!



This is what our girl looks like now! Pictures really dont do any justice to the amazing changes.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hooray for the McMullen's. Those pictures really don't show just how bad off she was when you first got her. I wanted to burst into tears that one time at your house when she tried to eat. She just had so much sadness in her eyes. I don't think she would have made it through the night had you not stopped and helped her.

She sure is lucky to have you guys and she is a sweet heart. It is neat to see the change and see some spunk in that little gal. She is going to be so spoiled. Dogs are the best, such wonderful friends and so loving. I sure love my Nikki girl. Congratulations on the new addition - we should have a party :-)

Grandma said...

I must echo Jillian's comments -- Maggie would NOT have survived the night, no question. And it was questionable for the next couple of nights. She was one sick lady. Kudos to you and your hubby for pausing your busy life to extend help to this gal. She is a treasure and Grandma is expecting to have her over from time to time. Lucky dog for sure!!

Bri said...

oh she is soooo adorable! dogs are seriously our other children! cant wait to meet her:)

The Cook Fam said...

Jill told me all about your heroic rescue. She is super cute. Glad this had such a happy ending.